Blue

 High pressure this time of year in Hakuba is about as rare as getting to pet a kamoshika.

Lee Lyon in Happo backcountry


It's pretty cool that I've gotten a chance for both to happen recently. That's right...I petted a kamoshika.

Hey little buddy


Mark, Nick, and Patrick in the bottom left. Feeling small

Criticize if you want. Before you do, ask yourself if you would have turned down such a rare opportunity. I met a friendly kamoshika in the north face run outs, and immediately grow fond of him. Lee and I herded him downhill a ways, and after he ran for a hundred meters, seemed to grow complacent about our pursuit. After losing interest, he started to traverse uphill from us. I took the opportunity to ski up to him, and quickly pat the little guy on the back before skiing off. I'll look forward to seeing my buddy again in the Happo One backcountry for the rest of the winter.


Lee above the dams

Ryan Gormly making turns,  Lee watching

Lee

Oh, and the blue sky. Last year I was used to not being able to see where I was going let alone see the sky. This year I'm more familiar with the Happo and Hakuba 47 backcountry than I am last years storm skiing zones. As much as I enjoy 'mustache frozen to goggles' days, I can live with some high pressure and hiking. I guess Alaska has converted me into someone that enjoys uphill.

Matthias Weichselbaumer

Patrick Fux, A.K.A. Super Mario

Liza Sarychev

Mark Virgin in the Virgin Cafe

Matthias, Happo backcountry

In and out of the clouds, classic Hakuba

Ryan working Goryu Ridge

As usual, creative creek crossings are in order when exploring. Ryan sends it as Matthias films

No comments:

Post a Comment