Midnight Pow


Powder skiing at midnight. Skier CH



I came down from the mountains after my first session camping to refuel and meet an old friend in Lyngseidet. CH is currently dealing with some malpractice legalities and would prefer to not be named. Like I discovered earlier, Sweden is a weird place. We packed the car and headed for the southwest end of the peninsula: the one area I hadn't gotten to ski much in Lyngen.

Ewok Village

The first evening marked the trend for the rest of the trip. Rain came in earlier that day that quickly changed to snow. We waited for things to start to clear before leaving the car in the early evening.

The southwest end

CH put fresh legs to use and took to setting the skin track. Happy to not set the track and feeling like I should be in bed because I knew what time it was (both, for the first time in weeks), I was happy to hang in the back and take some photos.


We topped out in partial clouds, and made pleasantly deep powder turns next to our switchbacks. With the ocean in view, we made it back to the car at 2AM.

CH

We slept a few hours before heading back out to ski some more. Clear weather held, and so did the pace for the next several days. Timing wise, CH did Lyngen dam well by managing to get such good snow, stability, and weather every day of the trip.

The sobering tongue of an old avalanche

Topping out

More powder, not at midnight. Skier CH

Low tide

3 comments:

  1. Zach, you do this very well :o)
    A pleasure following your adventures while waiting for the NZ season to kick off. Btw, any car rental tips for Tromsoe/Lyngen? Cheers, Maz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maz!
      There are a few car rental companies in the Tromso area, none are cheap because it's Norway. I didn't have great luck hitchhiking so I would recommend getting a car. It's an easy way to see a lot of the area quickly.
      There have been successful trips around the peninsula by road bike as well. If you have the fitness and time, this would be a really cool way to explore the area.

      Delete
  2. Been reading through some of your posts. This is essentially a photo blog and a wonderful one at that. Love some of the pictures. Would like to capture some such snaps myself eventually when I seriously commit to skiing. I'm a novice as of now. Took a few skiing lessons and now taking an avalanche safety training course at Canmore in Canada. Hopefully I'd gain more in confidence in time and take on more serious challenges. Keep sharing your experiences and pics.

    ReplyDelete